Telescope Filters Guide
If you love the Universe as we do, and already own a telescope, perhaps with the time you have lost some of your enthusiasm. Most likely that’s because you’ve seen all what you have ever dreamed of. If you still didn’t try various filters, then we have good news for you. You can forget everything you have seen until now and rediscover the night sky again. And now – from very new perspective. This time with much more colors, sharpness and contrast. Whether this will be the polar caps of Mars, or some distant nebula, looking through telescopic filters will definitely enhance your midnight experience.
Like photographic filters, these for telescope increase detail and improve contrast. They do it by removing unwanted color of the wavelength of light. let’s have a look to the most popular ones:
Telescope Filters Guide: Light Pollution Filters
The most common “junk” light is the one comes from the city lights. If you are an amateur astronomer and live in a city you probably know what I mean. Unfortunately, light pollution can kill your enthusiasm even if you’re miles away from the downtown.
Fortunately, there are filters that magically will clear the image from light pollution do not cost a fortune, and they gonna make you love your telescope much more!
Order now, and while you are waiting the little thing to get delivered, start getting out the Telescope from the closet. We did research and here are the top five filters removing light pollution on the market today:
- AUTHENTIC FILTER KIT: This genuine part for SoClean 2 machines includes one replacement filter cartridge and check valve assembly
- GUARANTEED COMPATIBILITY: Kit is suitable for all SoClean machines with SC1200 serial numbers
- RECOMMENDED 6 MONTH REPLACEMENT: To ensure optimum protection and effectiveness of your SoClean 2 machine it is advised to replace the filter and valve every 6 months
- QUICK AND EASY INSTALLATION: Removing the old filter and replacing with the new one is simple; no need to disassemble the unit
- Quality Optics: 400mm(f/5.7) focal length and 70mm aperture, fully coated optics glass lens with high transmission coatings creates stunning images and protect your eyes. Perfect telescope for astronomers to explore stars and moon.
- Magnification: Come with two replaceable eyepieces and one 3x Barlow lens.3x Barlow lens trebles the magnifying power of each eyepiece. 5x24 finder scope with mounting bracket and cross-hair lines inside make locating objects easily.
- Wireless Remote: Free includes one smart phone adapter and one Wireless camera remote to explore the nature of the world easily through the screen and take amazing celestial images.
- Adjustable Tripod: This telescope allows for many different viewing positions with a adjustable aluminum alloy tripod and a carry bag, the telescope and tripod can fit inside the bag for easy traveling and storage.
- Satisfaction: TWO-YEAR warranty. And technical support from our team of experts in 24 hours.
- STRONG BREATHABLE: Our mouth mask was made of cotton material which is breathable and comfortable to wear.And you can use it during all year round.
- REUSABLE:This face mask for dust is washable and reusable.We not only provide 3 pcs anti pollution masks with individually packaged,there is also including 6 pcs activated carbon filter insert can be replaced.It is so eco-friendly and convenient for you.
- ADJUSTABLE NOSE BRIDGE:According to each person's nasal type to adjust,the anti dust mask has M-shaped nose clip for making mask and nose better fit.So that can prevent dust going through and helps you to breathe smoothly, you don't need to worry that fogging up your glasses.
- FREELY ADJUSTABLE: With high elastic adjustable ear loop.You can freely adjust the length of the dust mask straps however you desire.One size fit most people,it suitable for adult,men and women.
- HEALTH PROTECTECTION: Ideal to protect your mouth and face safe by keeping dust away. Our cotton mouth mask is also a good match for outdoor,bus,metro,hospital,sporting, running, hiking and so on. We believe that the face mask is a ideal choise which make you look more fashion.
- Know your air – Amazon Smart Air Quality Monitor makes it easy to understand what’s in your indoor air.
- Track and measure – Keep tabs on 5 key factors: particulate matter (PM 2.5), volatile organic compounds (VOCs), carbon monoxide (CO), humidity, and temperature.
- Stay informed – Get an indication of current air quality from the color-coded LED, and an easy-to-understand air quality score in the Alexa app anytime.
- Get notifications – If Alexa detects poor air quality, you can get notifications on your phone or even announcements on Echo devices.
- Enable Routines to turn your Alexa-enabled devices such as air purifiers, dehumidifiers, and fans on and off when the indoor air quality changes.
- UHC filters or light pollution reduction filters are designed to selectively reduce the transmission of certain wavelengths of light;especially those produced by artificial light
- Sky background is darker;and contrast of emission nebulae are noticeably improved;the perfect filter for viewing nebula from light polluted skies;or for boosting the contrast of nebula from dark sky sites
- Due to its ability to produce exceptionally sharp and clear images;this UHC filter is considered one of the most popular astronomy accessories;it can be used not only for celestial observations but also for astrophotography
- 1.25'' barrel diameter simply attach to eyepiece cased in a sturdy transparent case;standard filter thread for 1.25" eyepieces and other accessories
- Optical glass lens;aluminum frame;significantly reduces light pollution;great for city and suburban observation
Telescope Filters Guide: Moon Filters
Moon – the closest object to Earth, and why not the most frequently observed is also looking far more beautiful if you see it in details with Polarizing Filters for Observing the Moon. Did’t try yet? Well, believe me, you’ll be surprised how much you missed. Due to the brightness, your pupil shrinks, the less light reaches your eyes. And you know best – less light, less detail!
Information about what makes this type filters can be found in the video below:
Here are top 5 Moon Filters Selling by Amazon
- Reduce glare and increase contrast of the Moon with the Celestron 1.25” Moon Filter
- Also useful for extra bright planets as well as terrestrial viewing over sand or snow
- Threads onto most 1.25” eyepieces in seconds
- Model Number : 94119-A
- Neutral Density ND Filter; Giving great versatility in changing light. Reduces the amount of light without effecting color balance; Perfectly neutral color will not alter the natural color of the Moon
- High-quality optical lenses;Made by completed professional optical glasses; Multi-layer coating;ND8 filter transmits only 12.5% of the incoming light;It has outstanding image sharpness and perfect colour neutrality
- 1.25'' barrel diameter;Metal filter cell threads directly into the 1.25 inch barrel of your telescope eyepiece;Useful for different caliber astronomical telescopes through which the light of the Moon can be extremely overwhelming
- Great Filter Frames;Filter Frames made by aluminum alloy; the serrated design of the edge of the frame makes it easy to install;Increase surface durability
- Extend shooting time;such as wanting to shoot misty flowing water in very bright places; Exposure time can be greatly extended to blur pedestrians or even completely
- 5 SUPERIOR-GRADE PLOSSL EYEPIECES: Our Celestron Accessory Kit includes 5 Plossl telescope eyepieces, ranging from low to high power: 32mm, 17mm, 13mm, 8mm, and 6mm. Each eyepiece features a four-element design with a 52-degree field of view.
- 2X BARLOW LENS: The 2x Barlow lens can be easily paired with each of the 5 eyepieces in this kit (or any 1.25” eyepiece) to enhance your view and instantly double its magnification for even more power. It’s like having 10 telescope eyepieces in your collection
- COLORED FILTERS FOR ASTRONOMICAL VIEWING: Colored filters are perfect for bringing out various details on a planet’s surface or in its cloud structure.
- DURABLE HARD-SIDED CARRYING CASE: Your kit will remain safe in a protective metal, foam-lined carrying lens filter case, perfect for organizing each piece and keeping your equipment ready to use.
- PLEASE NOTE: The telescope is not included. Kit includes: (1)Moon and Skyglow Filter; (1)CPL Filter; (5)Color Filters: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue; Designed to reduce glare and light scattering, increase contrast through selective filtration, increase definition and resolution, reduce irradiation and lessen eye fatigue
- MOON AND SKYGLOW FILTER: Cuts down glare and brings out much more surface detail and gives you better contrast; It is a multi-band pass filter transmitting a high percentage of light in the visual spectrum; Effectively filters out selective wavelengths of low-pressure sodium and other man-made sources typically used in street lighting
- CPL FILTER: By utilizing a CPL filter, which filters out scattered light, you are able to cut through those reflections and see the detail behind it; Enhances the contrast of the moon and planets in photographic images
- STANDARD 1,25-inch THREAD SIZE: 1.25 inches/ 3.17 centimeters thread size, fits for most of telescopes; Color filters have the grooves needed to be softly screwed into the eyepieces lens easily
- 5 COLOR FILTERS: Includes Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue; Red: Helps make Mercury and Venus stand out from the blue sky when viewed during the day; Orange: Helps increase contrast between light and dark areas, penetrates clouds; Yellow: Helps greatly in viewing Mars by bringing out the polar ice caps; Green: Enhances frost patches, surface fogs, and polar projections on Mars; Blue: Helps split the binary star Antares when at maximum separation
- The 1.25" Neutral Density Moon filter kit;Reduces glare so you can see more lunar detail and surface features with your telescope;Will not alter the natural color of the Moon
- Use ND4 filter with 25% transmission when Waxing Crescent Moon;As the Moon moves around the Earth; you get to see more and more of the illuminated half;It's very good effect to use the ND4 filter at this time
- Use ND8 filter with 12.5% transmission when Last and First Quarter Moon;It's very good effect to use the ND8 filter In last quarter and the first quarter phase
- Use ND16 filter with 6.25% transmission when Gibbous Moon;the illuminated part of the Moon that you can see decreases, and we say it's waning; The first week after full;It's very good effect to use the ND16 filter at this time
- Use ND1000 filter with 0.10% transmission when Full Moon; you can see a full disk;It's very good effect to use the ND1000 filter at this time at the brightest time of the moon
Telescope Filters Guide: Planetary Filters
An important role plays the filters for observations Planets and objects in Deep Space. You might argue about filtering of light – you gave a lot of money for large aperture exactly to gather more light. But in Astronomy not every light is helpful.
Certain wavelengths of light coming from, for example, a nebula, do not contribute to detail. If you remove them, the image that remains is much sharper and have better contrast.
Telescope filters do just that: eliminate light that does not add any detail to the object. What remains is a much cleaner image, that lets you see the finer details with better contrast.
Different objects require different types of filter to see them best. Jupiter’s Great Red Spot needs a different filter than this for polar regions of Mars or Venus’s clouds. In the chart below you can find the appropriate filters for the various objects and the top 5 Planetary Filter Sets on the market today.
- These filters can be used individually or together to bring out detail in the images you see through your telescope
- Neutral density filters are useful for splitting binary systems and reducing glare
- Zhumell filters will fit any standard 1.25" format telescope eyepiece
- Premium assortment includes 20 of the best 1.25 inch color filters for planetary viewing
- Color filters make it easier to see planetary and lunar details
- Improve contrast of specific planetary and lunar features
- Includes sturdy metal case with die-cut foam interior for safe storage and transport
- Quick-reference guide indicates benefits of each filter at-a-glance
- Filter set includes #12 Deep Yellow, #21 Orange, #80A Blue and #ND-96-0.3 Neutral Density Filter, 50% transmission
- Perfect for lunar and planetary observation
- Reduce glare and light scattering
- High-quality, solid plane parallel glass
- Stackable filters for various combinations
- 7pcs filters set include most popular color planetary and moon telescope eyepiece filters;moon filter;CPL filter;5 color filters with 23A bright red;21 orange;12 yellow;56 bright green;82A bright blue
- CPL filter is mainly used for elimination of polarized;and enhances the contrast of the moon and planets in photographic images
- 5 color filters are an essential tool of the lunar and planetary;with red;green;blue;orange and yellow highlight features on Mars;Jupiter;and Saturn
- High quality aluminum alloy frame and optical glass with standard 1.25” filter threads suitable for 1.25” eyepieces and other accessories
- Moon and skyglow filter;Cuts down glare and brings out much more surface detail and gives you better contrast; It is a multi-band pass filter transmitting a high percentage of light in the visual spectrum; Effectively filters out selective wavelengths of low-pressure sodium and other man-made sources typically used in street lighting
- 7 1.25inch filters for telescopes in a set. Include 1 Crystalview Moon Filter, 1 Polarizing Filter #3, 5 planetary filters: No.56 Green, No.12 Yellow, No 23A Red, No.21 Orange and No.82A Blue.
- Crystalview Moon Filter-----Enhance Lunar Planetary Views - Eliminating the Street Light Smog.
- Polarizing Filter #3-----Enhances the contrast of the moon and planets in photographic images.
- 5 color planetary filters -- The five color filters (Red, Blue, Green, Orange＆Yellow) highlight features on Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn.They are an essential tool of the lunar and planetary observer, for filters permit the observation and photography of surface detail that is often virtually invisible without filtration.
- All filters has M28.5x0.6 1.25inch standand filter thread on both sides. With Metal Frame and Optical Glass.
Solar Filters for Telescopes
If you are looking to buy a solar filter for your telescope, then let me tell you that it is almost impossible to find the right one for you. The reason is that unlike other filters, solar one does not apply into a standard 1.25 inch eyepiece, but should be put front of the tube, where all light gets in. Now days there is countless types of telescopes in the market with different sizes and solar filter should fit perfectly on your telescope.
Something very important !!!! Never Ever point your telescope to the Sun without sun filter and never look through the eyepiece. You risk losing your eyesight, and damage the telescope.
So, after it became clear that it is difficult to find a ready solar filter for your telescope model, the next thing you can do is to create one. Idid it, and that means everybody can do it too!
If you are from those who are not very handy, it means we are much alike. I’m not that “always creating something” person, but my desire to look at the Sun was so big that I couldn’t resist.
For my big surprise making a Sun filter was not only easy but also very enjoyable work.
After a thorough study on youtube videos I chose the one that most clearly and accurately explain what is needed and what should be done. There it is:
What you need is:
- Solar Filter Sheet for Telescopes
- Scotch tape
The solar sheet can be ordered by the review further down in this page. For my 6 inch telescope, 10 inch square perfectly matched the filter which I made.
Follow the steps in the video and you will succeed. Here are some pictures from my personal experience with the preparation of the filter. And the prize? Well, you will have to look at the Sun with the telescope.
- Silver - Black polymer is the most common filtering material for observing sunspots and granulation, through telescopes and binoculars.
- These sheets are a quality product of Thousand Oaks Optical, Arizona, a manufacturer of safe solar filters for over 30 years. "Stronger than Mylar with the filtering properties protected within the substrate. Guaranteed five years."
- Make a filter on your own for any telescope / binoculars / camera, and for a fraction of what factory made filters cost.
- The sun will appear in a natural orange color when viewed through your telescope using this filter.
- WARNING: ALWAYS MAKE SURE THE FILTER IS WELL ATTACHED TO THE TELESCOPE/BINOCULARS, USING STICKY TAPE, TO KEEP IT FROM FALLING WHILE OBSERVING!
- Quality Material: These gel filters are made of high light transmission PVC plastic, can be used as a flash filter. Light weight, high toughness, stable color temperature, low loss. Perfect for placing over outdoor lights, or transforming regular LED garage flood lights to Christmas lights, Halloween decorations.
- 9 Different Colors: Package includes 9 sheets of PVC Gel Light Filter plastic film in defferent colors - Red, yellow, blue, pink, purple, green, orange, fluorescent green, tea black. Different vibrant colors meet your different needs.
- Combined to Use & Creat Amazing Effects: these gel filters can be combined to create different effects, such as, cool effects, color correcting. Or for color correction, involving additive and subtractive color, color mixing, color transmission, absorption and filtering of the different wavelengths of light.
- Wide Applications: The Lighting Gel Filter is pfrfect for photo studio strobe flash light LED lights, film, video, theater, party, and DJ lighting. Or used for memory albums scrapbooks and various other art projects.It can also help children reduce frustration in reading, improve clarity and eye movements control.
- Two-sided Protective Film: There are protective films on both sides of the correction gel light filters, please tear off before use. Don't worry about being scratched, easy to remove them. Size: 11.7 x 8.3inches / 29.7 x 21cm (L x W). Note: please do not leave the product close to the light which is on, or it will be melted
- High Light Transmission Material: the transparent color gel filter is made of high light transmission material with light weight, steady color temperature and low loss. PLEASE DON'T ATTACH THE GEL FILTERS TO MODELING LAMP OR IT WILL BE MELTED
- Vibrant Colors: these PVC plastic film sheets have 8 colors, yellow, green, blue, purple, orange, pink, grey, red, Different colors meet your different needs
- Two-sided Protective Film: these correction gel light filters are protected by coverings on the both sides of filters, don't worry about being scratched, easy to remove them
- Create Different Effects: Color filters used for lighting effects and color correction, involving additive and subtractive color, color mixing, color transmission, absorption and filtering of the different wavelengths of light,create different effects,good for photo studio strobe flash light LED lights
- Wide Application: light filters fit for film, video, photo, stage, theater, party, and DJ lighting; also can help kids reduce reading frustration, improve clarity and eye movement control